Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New Hampshire Minimum Wage Will Increase Again

On July 24, 2008, the federal minimum wage increased to $6.55 per hour. However, weeks after that, on September 1, 2008, the minimum wage in New Hampshire will increase again to $7.25 per hour. That’s an increase of 70 cents, and the final increase for the present.

As for employees who receive tips in occupations in restaurants, motels, inns, etc., they must be paid at least 45% of the state minimum wage by the employer. The remaining 55% of the minimum wage can be in the form of tips paid directly to them by customers. However, if the employees earn an insufficient amount in tips, their employers must pay the differences between the tipped wage and the minimum wage. This law applies to tipped employees of all ages.

On July 24, 2009, the federal minimum wage will increase again, to $7.25 per hour. The change won’t affect New Hampshire employers, however, because the state minimum wage will have been at that rate for 10 months already.

No comments: